Chemins Vignerons

When an incoming tourist agency meet a wine expert

chemins-vignerons springtime in LanguedocChâteauneuf du Pape in winterAt the wineryGigondas : terroir of Romane Machotte Wine tour with a group at Saint Christol terroirTavel in octoberWine tastingEnjoying life in Aix en ProvenceSablet a nice village in the Rhône valleyMagical underground cellarRoof at Mèze (Languedoc)Pebbles at Châteauneuf du Pape

Clos des Cazaux – Vacqueyras AOC

The Domain Clos des Cazaux is a family property in the wine growing business for 5 generations. At the beginning of the century, my great grand father, Gabriel Archimbaud, was the first to sell Vacqueyras in a bottle, with the name of the village and the property. Today, Lucette Archimbaud, Maurice Vache, and their sons Jean Michel & Frédéric, manage the domain.

The Domain has 45 hectares of which 25 are AOC Vacqueyras and 20 AOC Gigondas.

Exportation

The annual production is approximately 1.000 hectolitres chosen from our oldest vines; the rest (600 hectolitres) is sold in bulk. The sale of bottled wine this year is 100.000 bottles, of which 70% is exported to Belgium, England, Norway, the USA, Holland Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Canada. The remaining 30% is sold to restaurants and wine cellars. We don’t sell to the supermarkets as it belittles the value of our product.

Agriculture

The land, of the domain is heterogeneous and gives an enormous wealth of diversity to our different vintages. One can see stony chalky scree covered land on the slopes of Gigondas, as well as grey clay red marl; in Vacqueyras however, we note slopes of chalky clay, Aptien Cobalt and round stones.

The grape varieties are mainly black Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvèdre. However, in the blending of our wines we add varieties that are unfortunately little known and disappearing, such as Aubun, Cournoise and Cinsault.

The vines are cultivated with the utmost respect for the ecosystem. We only use natural products and sulphur in our treatment of the vines, the work is hand done, as is the harvesting. Added to this, as ever respecting quality, a pre-selection of grapes is done during summer – thus eliminating at least 20% of the grapes. The average yield of the domain is 28 hl/ha.

Wines

The winemaking process is special because the harvest is gathered in special bins which, when emptied, allow only grapes into the vats and avoid any mechanical shock. Alcoholic fermentation is controlled by a cooling system which avoids temperature fluctuation while allowing us to keep the complex aromas. We only do one pressing during the de-vatting to eliminate any rough aspect from the juice.

The maturing is done in stainless steel vats firstly to settle the must, and then in cement or enamel vats. The wines mature in our winery for a minimum of 2 years before bottling which is done attentively at the domain. No fining or other handling is done before bottling.

email adress : closdescazaux@wanadoo.fr


Vacqueyras rouge : « Cuvée des Templiers » : blending
50 % Syrah / 50 % Grenache

Vacqueyras rouge : « Cuvée saint Roch » : varieties : 65 % grenache, 30 % syrah, 5 % mourvèdre

Vacqueyras rouge : « Cuvée Grenat Noble » : 100 % Grenache

 

Commentaires Clos.

Email
Print
Conseil Oenotourisme -